Table of Contents
How to create a Geo Link
A geo link consists basically in a url with a base slug that is common to every link and destination slug. For example in http://yourdomain.com/goto/amazon-product the base slug is "goto" and the destination slug is "amazon-product".
Once you decided the base slug of your urls to create a Geolink you simple need to fill following 3 sections:
- Redirection options: Where you setup the destination slug , redirection code and default destination url
- Destinations: Here you define all the final urls based on the needed rules.
- Stats: Show click stats for defined url in your Geo Link.
It's important to remove the slug of your choice from all cache plugins or service side cache. So if your redirection slug it's /goto/ be sure to exclude all goto/* urls in your cache plugin
On this section you add as many final urls as needed. Each url consists on the following fields:
- Destination URL: Is the final url that you are redirecting the users to.
- Geo options: Where you define the geotargeting options for the link. If the user matches your rules it will be redirect to the final url.
- Devices: You can narrow down to only target for certain devices.
- Referral url: Only use the destination url if the user is coming from defined url.
With the shortcode
[geo-link] you could print your urls easily. Possible attributes are:
- slug: The slug of the geolink you want to print (Required)
- nofollow: yes|no (optional) Add nofollow attr - default yes
- noreferrer: yes|no (optional) Add noreferrer attr - default yes
- cloak: yes|no (optional) If set to no it will print destination url instead of geolink - default yes
- class: (optional) Optional class attr to the link
Most of these apply to the shortcode and are used to make global modification rather than editing each shortcode
- geolinks/link_rel_attr: To modify default link rel="" attr
- geolinks/disable_cloak_in_shortcodes: Filter to disable cloak globally
- geol/redirect_params: Filter to modify redirect params live
- geol/redirect_default: Filter to modify default url
Check our tutorial where we explain more in detail how to create affiliate links by country.